"The concert aims to unite South African's in festive cheer and generosity, but moreover to spread that cheer to corners of our country where vulnerable children are not so fortunate," says Deirdre King, managing director of Jacaranda FM
. Jacaranda FM
, the Good Morning Angels team
and SPAR will use the funds raised through generous donations to buy toys for 2 500 children from 11 homes across South Africa.
The 2020 beneficiaries include:
- SOS Children’s Village Rustenburg Village, North West
- SOS Children’s Village Nelspruit Village, Mpumalanga
- SOS Children’s Village Pietermaritzburg Village, Kwa Zulu Natal
- SOS Children’s Village Sekhukhune Social Centre, Limpopo
- SOS Children’s Village Cape Town Village, Western Cape
- Child Welfare Tshwane, Gauteng
- Child Welfare Midrand, Gauteng
- Abraham Kriel Kinderhuis, Gauteng
- Look Forward Orphanage, Gauteng
- Juno Aurora Home, Gauteng, and
- The Hanna Charity, Gauteng.
"Whatever our beliefs, I think we can all agree that our custom of gift-giving makes the recipient feel special and every child deserves to feel special over Christmas. This is why Spar Carol's by Candlelight is such a special event for us," says King.
"This year, the pandemic provided the opportunity to stream this heart-warming event to every corner of South Africa and beyond. We have the most generous people in this country and I'm very inspired to see that the spirit of giving and helping those less fortunate is very much alive in South Africa," concludes Pieter van Vuuren, SPAR inland advertising and promotions manager.
Familiar Christmas carols were sung by a collection of South Africa's greatest music talent. They included:
- the Soweto Gospel Choir
- Karen Zoid
- Riana Nel
- Tarryn Lamb
- Swing City
- Matthew Mole
- Charlize Berg
- Tashe' Burger
- Joe Black, and
- Zolani Mahola.
For more information, visit www.jacarandafm.com
. You can also follow Jacaranda FM
or on Instagram